Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Sometimes it does mean a lot!

I knit a simple shawl out of some lovely grey alpaca yarn years ago. Little did I know how much the shawl would come to mean to me. 

I was never able to get a picture that did it justice. It is such a soft warm yarn that pictures cannot convey. I loved the pattern (Multnomah) so much I made it three times, at least. But none of the others match this one. It is just the right weight and warmth. Easy to wear and it just makes you feel better, wrapped in soft warmth. 





When Gus was old and sick the shawl gained more significance. He came home with a shaved belly from an ultrasound. It took so long for that fur to grow back. The weather grew colder and so did Gus. Enter what became known as The Shawl of Healing.



Gus was tucked in under more than once. He agreed it was just right, not too heavy and not too warm. Each time he fought his way back.
He was one Big Tough Kitty.

Last year I put Gus's bed under the Christmas tree with the shawl in it. Orange fuzzy Burt asked Gus if he could give it a test. 


Now Burt is not yet old or sick so he lets me keep The Shawl of Healing with me. You know, since I need it more.

I even wrapped D in it while he was in the hospital. He looked like an old babushka, even with the beard. Sadly those pictures will remain private. They do make me smile.

Two weeks ago it flew with us back to South Dakota. My Dad was not doing well. It was a source of comfort and warmth for me.

A few days ago I thought I lost it. It was with me then it was not?! I searched frantically, thinking not now, I still need you. I had resigned myself to "it was just a shawl" and I could always knit another one but my heart was breaking. Till I turned around and someone had hung it where I never do. I had dropped it, it was found and placed safely.

Now it travels with me to be a continuing source of comfort at my Dad's funeral.

Also meaning a lot on this voyage are the socks I'm wearing. I was wearing them on the day D had is his accident that was bad, but could have been so much worse. I am still struck by how awful it could have been and how well he has healed. I like to think of them as good luck socks.

Tomorrow, I will be wearing my Adriene socks. The yarn was a  gift from a knitting friend and a source of comfort too. My very first pen pal. I'm still amazed that we hit it off so well after reading a random blog post. Who knew yarn cakes could be as much of a bonding point as real cake. It is the stuff great friendships are based on. Well we do love tea too.

They may just be knit items but sometimes they can mean so much more.

Today wrap yourselves in all the comfort you need. And say a prayer for my dad and my family if you can.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a bit of comfort during this time. I wish I could have gone there with you in person. Much love, my friend.

    ReplyDelete