Sunday, September 3, 2017

Gearing up

Even though the weather has been getting warmer/stinking hot, I've been fighting my knitting mojo. Well, fighting is an awfully strong word. Let's just say my knitting mojo has been activated and I'm thinking about knitting sweaters. Yes you read that right sweaters as in plural as in crazy talk when it is above 90 degrees.

Yes I know I've given myself a very stern talking to about finishing D's sweater first. What do you mean you did not know I was knitting a sweater for Hubby? Just because I dropped it like the hot potato/wool that it was last spring...


The term knitting is thrown around pretty loosely in this house. Don't you remember those socks that I was "knitting" for over a year? *cough* more like two years *cough* The second sock took me no time once I pulled them out from under the pile. You know "the things I'm playing with or thinking about" pile. 

D's sweater is its own pile, a mostly completed pile. I abandoned it last spring when it was mostly finished, but needs to be tried on stage. Hey it was too hot by that stage anyways, plus why finish something that you won't dare to wear for at least 3 to 6 months. 

I picked out some sock yarn and started knitting smaller lighter items. But now I'm back to thinking about sweaters. Hubby will get his once the weather cools down, but now is the time to dream about my next one.

I was thinking about what color yarn I would buy when I was struck by the knowledge of two unknit sweater's yarn sitting in the stash. One a plum color for me and the other some left over colors from previous Rhinebeck sweaters and some lovely gray yarn, I could knit into a nice colorwork sweater. Hmmm what to do?

Well since I had bought a nice sized basket I intended to use for knitting I carefully extracted two half balls of green, three skeins of purple, nine skeins of grey and one partially knit ball of grey complete with ribbed swatch still attached. I had at least removed the needles for the move. I picked up the red skein I had brought home from the Rose City Yarn Crawl and consolidated it all in the basket.

I even found Gus' old ball of yarn that he loved so much. I tucked that one back in the stash. He would have loved this sweater I'm going to knit. He did so love rustic wools.

The ribbing on the grey was promptly frogged and a purple and red skein each were wound up. I mercilessly ripped needles from another dreaming about/knitting project and started tracking down colorwork motifs I could try out. Yep you read that right I'm knitting a swatch! Right now I'm knitting a small tube of garter stitch that will turn into a swatch. Unless I find something else to distract me till the heat passes.

Hey Honey want to go to the beach???

PS: Anyone have any thoughts on what motif I should choose for my colorwork yoke? I've found a geometric cat face, Scottish thistle and some sheep that I like. Right now they are theoretically going in the swatch. Sort of like survivor for knitting motifs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment