Sunday, August 3, 2014

On Baking

One of the things I picked up while I was home facing a crisis, was to do more of the things I want to do.

Easy right? Not always, but I'm learning. I want to do more cooking/baking. I like making things and enjoy eating tasty things too.

Last weekend while before our standard scones went into the oven I made two batches of oat yogurt muffins. I love these muffins because they're full of the things I think I should be eating. No I have not done any nutritional analysis so you'll have to forgive me.

This weekend I made a couple more batches, only this time I remembered to get frozen blueberries instead of the dried fruit it recommends. Much tastier with gushy blueberries. I started a couple of experiments with this week's batches. My intentional test was to add ground flaxseed.

My unintentional change up was to forget to add in the melted butter to the second batch. It was not until I opened the microwave's door that I realized any thing was amiss. I swear my microwave is a black hole when it comes to melted butter. This was not the first time I found butter in there. First time for my muffins though. They came out fine, maybe more like a baked oatmeal than muffin.

I had another oops moment when I forgot to add the walnuts to my zucchini bread. I remembered them 15 minutes into the hour long baking time. So being the creative person that I am I chopped them up fine and pressed them into the still gooey center. Well sort of, they mostly rested on the gooey top.

So I've been managing to bake even though I seem to be sabotaging myself. Guess I am just trying to gain some survival skills. No butter, no problem I can still make something tasty, if I have oats, yogurt, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, well you get the picture.

2 comments:

  1. At least you remembered the flour. I've had a couple of disaster with recipes where I have forgotten the flour... and no, the recipe was not gluten free! I'm sure the muffins/baked oatmeal was still pretty delicious! I often find that, if I'm baking with fruit (dried especially), I can reduce the sugar by about 1/4 cup and it still turns out tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I did that once but I realized it after only a couple of minutes in the oven so I pulled it out and remixed.

      I gotta say the butter-less ones are not great. Taste ok but they're very dense and a tad off.

      Delete