Thursday, April 3, 2014

Back in the Drawer Again

The other day I did not feel like knitting, but I did feel like playing with yarn. Usually when this occurs it is thankfully temporary and I just use the time to stash dive and plan some future projects. I may match some yarn to a pattern or I may replace the cedar chips in the bottom of the stash basket, or I may just do a bit of a fluff and sniff. Yes I really do like to smell my yarn. 

But this time I pulled out some socks of D's that have been in the repair pile for quite a while. Luckily they were put there just before the weak spot became a hole. So I tried duplicate stitching as my repair method. 


I gotta say I like it. I still need to practice more but it turned out rather usable in my opinion.

Just as I got that pair back into rotation again, I noticed a true hole in another pair.  The yarn has worn thin on the whole ball of the foot here. So instead of using the same yarn for repair I found some left over thicker grey yarn to make repairs.



Turns out that was a bad idea. My duplicate stitching kept getting wonky and generally looks pathetic. But this pair too is back in the rotation for a time. 

I told Hubby the red pair will not be repaired again, since I had such a hard time. I was also worried that they would feel uncomfortable with the uneven thickness. He wore them the next day without noticing anything. 

Guess I'll have to get busy knitting him some new socks. The repairs are still worth doing but nothing beats new socks. I should really buy some more work horse sock yarn but the hand painted stuff is so much more fun. Maybe I just need to examine the socks more closely when I wash them. That way I can pull them from the rotation and fix them before they get truly holey. 

Don't worry he has half of a first sock on the needles now, and a couple more waiting to get on the needles too. His magic sock drawer still works.

I also made monster cookies for him, from his mom's recipe. The recipe makes 6 dozen cookies and that is half of the original recipe that she received from the neighbor lady. Whew, that is a lot of cookies, but they are ever so tasty.

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking the other day, "I should make some cookies. I haven't made cookies in a long time." Great minds, hey?

    I am quite impressed by your sock repair skills. They are far more than I've ever attempted. I would probably knit a patch to put over them, but then that might be seriously annoying on your foot.

    ReplyDelete