Saturday, July 13, 2013

Summer sleuthing

I am on a summer reading kick. I believe that I used to do the same thing when I was in school. I could not wait for summer so I could start reading all the things I was denied during the school year. Now really I was not denied since I was a fast reader, but for some odd reason I've always resented time spent on homework. It must be the procrastinator bug in me. I could never enjoy things with homework looming over me, and since I was a procrastinator, homework was usually done last minute. Thus the perpetual looming of it.

Now that you understand my love of summertime, I'll get back to the reading. The other day I was at the library perusing the stacks and decided to pick up a few mysteries since I have been having such a good run of luck with them. (Don't even get me started on The Help I don't think I can talk about that one yet.) I picked up a few first in the series books; Carola Dunn's Manna from Hades  and Isis Crawford's A Catered Murder. What drove me to the library was Kaitlyn Dunnett's Scone Cold Dead, the second book set in Moosetookalook Maine. See there I just love writing Moosetookalook.

Now the titles will make you think that I am obsessed with food books. I must have been a bit peckish when I walked down the mystery aisle. I do like a good cozy mystery. Guess I am just at the food based cozy phase.

Just so you don't worry that I've given up on English ladies solving mysteries I have Patricia Wentworth's Grey Mask going in the car. I've just been introduced to Miss Silver and already I like her. She knits stockings while interviewing the client. She is specifically mentioned to knit in the German style. So no luck with us being BFFs since I knit English. Well that and the whole her being a fictional character thing.

While I was on Goodreads today I noticed someone had challenged themselves to read mysteries set in all 50 states. While I may not find myself taking up the same challenge I did pause to consider where some of my books are set. I of course have my English obsession which are usually London based since everything happens in London, doncha know?

Most recently I've enjoyed Maine, California and Washington DC. My Kindle book is set in Boston so that takes care of Massachusetts. Wow three states and one district, not too shabby. Does watching Magnum PI count for Hawaii?

Anyways my knitting will take over again once I finish the shawl that-does-not-wish-to-be-photographed. Who knew my shawl was such a diva that it would not make an appearance till it was knit? My garter-stitch is getting snootier and snootier with every project. I guess when you don't give a stitch the respect it deserves it will demand it one way or another. I'm just glad it has not turned vindictive.

If you want to see lovely knitting, Adriene has decided what to knit with the swap yarn I sent her. And she is talking about summer berries too. What is not to love?

2 comments:

  1. I remember going to the library in the summer, taking out my full limit of books that my card would allow, and reading them all in a week, much to the annoyance of my mother who bade me to slow down!

    I wonder if there are any good titles set in Hawaii? It might be worth a look...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow down there are so many books to read, and I must read them all! Well all the ones I want.

      Do you remember how many your limit was? The kid in front of me the other day had to have at least 30 books. But then again they were thinner kid's books. I bet he was busy for more than a day.

      Delete