Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Settling in

So my book dilemma has evened out. I picked up Pardonable Lies by Jacqueline Winspear. It is the third book in the Maisie Dobbs series. I am starting to think that this will be one of my favorite series. It is set in England during the thirties. You know how I love my books set in England.

The other book that followed me home from the library was The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. I've been wanting to read this series for a while now. It is quite popular and many of the book titles just call to me. Plus Adriene recommended it so it bumped up on the read list. The pacing and the way the story is told is different from other detective books I've been reading. I like it but it did take a bit for me to settle in and understand the storytelling is faster and slower at the same time. The cases are smaller and easily resolved, but each is moving us towards getting to know the characters.

I'm also starting to think about my travel knitting. You know since I knit my Color Affection shawl already. Once you find the right yarn it is hard to ignore a project. So I am thinking some socks would be good knitting. But then again I always think socks are good knitting.

Since I finished up my purse socks the other day I have been fighting the urge to cast on something new. So far I'm being very noble and concentrating on finishing two pairs of socks that are on the needles for D. Here I was thinking I was such a good wife because his knitting on the needles out numbered my knitting on the needles, but then I finished my knitting first. Turns out knitting is not all that useable while it is still on the needles, well to a non-knitter anyways.

And lastly D and I are considering tent camping at Rhinebeck this year. Are we crazy? I am still questioning that thought process. Of course the first time we went camping after we were married, it was in Maine in September. I worried and worried and that turned out just fine. As long as you don't count every time I woke up when Shifty Eddie the raccoon came strolling by our tent in the middle of the night. Now would be the time to point out that raccoons are nocturnal. Seems like he strolled by every five minutes.

I will have to lock the yarn in the car at Rhinebeck. I don't want Shifty Eddie's cousin, Rambling Rita making off with my new alpaca. You know those guys have Rhinebeck weekend circled on their calendars too. How else do they stay toasty in the winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment