Saturday, February 16, 2013

Finnish River Socks

I have a Finnish river named Kalajoki on my feet now. 


You know how you're just going through life and something keeps catching your peripheral attention? I was searching for a pattern that was not my standard sock, but not reinventing the sock either. This nice plain sock with a nice meandering detail kept showing up on the screen. The three times I thought hey that is a nice sock, Kalajoki was on the screen. What is a knitter to do, other than cast on?


The yarn is Ensign Brook Farm, Great Scott from Cheviot sheep. Go on over and see how good looking these sheep are. Cute little buggers aren't they? This was again one of my bonus finds from the Southern Adirondack Fiber Festival last September. I wanted to find some breed specific yarns that were not Merino. While I love a soft smooshy Merino yarn, there is just something ultra satisfying working with a yarn that does not coddle you. A yarn that can go on a mid winter hike with you and not whine the whole way, unlike me the person wearing it. I whine a lot while hiking. No wait I meant I wheeze a lot while hiking.

I bought a natural colored skein too. I had planned to make a pair for D out of it, but man is it hard giving up the added warmth of this type of socks. Although if I worked it right, I bet they would make excellent boot socks for D. Luckily I don't have to worry about it since he has another pair on the needles now. And fair is fair, that means the next pair I cast on should be mine, right?

What do you mean I have a whole drawer full of socks? I'm not telling him, are you? Oh right he reads the blog too. (I love you honey.)

Anyways, I am currently eyeing a skein of yarn Adriene sent me in our swap. I'm trying to see if it should be plain socks or fancy socks. It is not giving me any clues yet.



1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do with that yarn! And yes, those sheep are adorable. They look like they are wearing sweaters!

    ReplyDelete