Sunday, January 13, 2013

Finished!

One down with two more to go! I give you a finished shawl that I started in May. Seven months of knitting and ripping back and reknitting. Three of those months had to have been spent in time out though. 

I learned it is far better to have good tools to help you, than it is to have a "I can do this" attitude. I knew I could do it, so I ended up doing it in small pieces over and over again. Work smarter not harder!

My old and new tools that I discovered? First, stitch markers help so much when your brain keeps messing with you. Now I am not a big proponent of stitch markers but in this case they proved to be essential to me getting it right and keeping it right. I used every color I own, and was thankful for them all. 


My new tool is magnetic place keepers from Slipped Stitch Studios. Have you seen these things in action yet? They're ribbon covered and joined magnets that slip over a pattern and keep your place. No sticky tape to move, no noting which line you're on after you finish a row. Freedom in the form of magnets, ever so brilliant!


My second new tool is a new bind off from the book Cast On Bind Off by Leslie Ann Bestor. Who knew a book of beginnings and endings only could be so useful? I'd already used it on D's toe up socks and found it very clear and precise in the directions and photos. I am thinking I will be learning many more ways to start and finish my knitting in the coming year. 

So finally here she is. My Eggplant Holden. Don't the ridges look like waves crashing in on the shores?


I don't know if I'm keeping her myself or continuing the Christmas love since this was yarn I bought with a Christmas gift certificate in 2010. I went stash diving for this one.


Pattern: Holden Shawlette by Mindy Wilkes
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock in Eggplant

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Stitch markers are a lifesaver for shawls, especially for someone like me with no attention span. I must look into those placeholders. I've used enough sticky labels to label a whole supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not 100% sure about the place markers when I bought them, I thought I would use them.
      But now I really, really find them super helpful. I like them way more than I thought I would. Sticky notes never seemed to last long enough.

      Delete