Monday, November 12, 2012

Hubby

Work is hectic, ASL class is taking time away from home, and my migraine kicked my butt. So last week as we were sitting down to dinner, and by dinner I mean oh crap-we're-out-of-everthing-what-can-I-make? It was "nachos" and I use the quotes because corn chips and beef were the only two things that we had on hand that make real nachos.

That evening's interpretation? Ground beef, a mix of spices that resembled taco seasoning, the only can of beans in the house (kidney), corn chips and frozen Mexican blend cheese. While it turned out better than I thought it would, highly edible, I looked at my husband and told him since the next night was class night, I needed his help for dinner. And by help I meant I needed him to provide something better than I just created, still highly edible though.

Now I had envisioned him picking up dinner but I don't really know how that was going to work since I get home way later than him on class nights. Maybe pizza twice in one week was not so bad? A frozen skillet type meal had already been played that week but come on I was desperate!

I called him after class on my way home because I had a story to tell him and I was feeling guilty for making him do dinner on such short notice. I asked if I needed to stop on my way home but he cheerfully told me dinner was covered.

I thought to myself pizza it is, won't it be nice to get home and have a nice hot pizza waiting for me that I did not have to cook. Yeah we found a nice take and bake kind that is cheaper than delivery.

When I walked in the door I was greeted with the smell of onions and garlic. D loves coming home to that smell and I truly understand why now. Upstairs waiting for me is fettuccine alfredo. Now I've always wanted to learn to make it but have always been intimidated.

For the twist, it is fettuccine alfredo made a different way with a you'll-never-guess-it special ingredient. Now I am thinking tofu as I sit down and start to eat. It tastes great, maybe not authentic, but  I'm not authentic Italian either.

The secret ingredient? The alfredo is ground up cashews. No milk, cream or dairy, but cashews. He was right, I never would have guessed it.

He asked a coworker for advice and she sent him to this recipe. It is especially nice because the alfredo does not separate when you reheat it.

D hit it out of the ballpark on his first two forays into the world of cooking. I may just be busy more nights of the week since I know I have a budding chef at home.

D you Rock!

2 comments:

  1. Smart! I often use ground almonds for curry sauces, and cashews would fit the bill just as well! Oh man, I haven't had fettucine alfredo for ages... tummy is growling now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great. So tasty. That reminds me I still need to try your baked falafel too. Maybe this weekend.

      Delete