Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Getting schooled

I've went back to school, sort of. I am taking American Sign Language 101 from a local community college. I am trying to catch up to D since he's already been through three levels. He says it is different going through schooling rather than learning from our friends. I agree with the idea as I am always in need of help with my grammar.

I can tell you that college has changed and it has not changed. The students seem so very young from my perspective. Technology is everywhere, but in my class it will get you kicked out of class. I should be doing homework but I am talking to you instead. (Somethings never change)

I went to a technical college so there was not as much writing of papers, plus technical writing is its own genre. We like facts and data, it can be dry but it is our kind of dry. I don't really know how to tell a story if knitting is not involved.

I am the only one so far that knits while waiting for class. Do you think I will lure anyone else out into public? Yeah me neither.

Well I have some homework to do so I'll be seeing you.

2 comments:

  1. That's amazing! I've always wanted to learn sign language, but it's never come to pass. I imagine it to be like many other language courses, where you really need others around you to converse with to become any good at it. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to learn it too. D recently went to school with a Deaf man and they became great friends, which urged me back on track of pursuing schooling. We now have friends in the Deaf community that I would like to be able to sign with. They've taught me many signs but I need the formal education side too. My ASL grammar is lacking.

      Delete