Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spinning a bit more

I was able to participate in a spinning demo of sorts the other day. A lady at my church was giving a talk titled The Ancient Art of Spinning. I was asked to bring my socks in progress to show what you could do with the yarn you've made.


They were OOOed and Awwed over before being safely returned to me. I must be honest I get a bit nervous when my yarn leaves the safety of my hands. My needles are small and delicate it is too easy for one of then to be misplaced or broken with rough handling. What can I say I am a bit of a worrywart. 

Back to the spinning talk, it was interesting because she pulled bible verses that referenced spinning, and she showed how spinning could be done with even the most basic of tools, even a rock. 

Her emphasis was how we create things that can be found no where else in the world. This art connects us back to ancient times. We're doing same thing that has been done for generations. Although now we have better tools and most of us do it because we like to not because the family depends on us to do it. Which is a relief for me since D has big feet and while I enjoy knitting him things I also enjoy having new things for myself. It feels like his socks take twice the time mine do.

My spinning is suffering right now I have spun two singles and am now plying them together using my homemade lazy kate, While it is working well my enthusiasm is lagging. I think my spindle is getting full and I don't know how to stop the plyed yarn from unraveling if I cut it to make a skein, and start another skein. Guess I will muddle on in my own way. I'm sure whatever yarn I make will be usable, even if it is just to knit cat toys for the boys. Yeah right like that is what I will be using it for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment