Sunday, March 13, 2011

Warm?

I finally decided to take some pictures while the light was not horrible today. First up are socks that made the jump after sitting in my stash for 2 years. Now normally I don't keep stash that long but this was acquired during my first trip to NY Sheep and Wool Festival commonly referred to as Rhinebeck. 

No wait my first trip to Rhinebeck was in 2007, that is some well marinated wool. There is still another skein still  in there. Oh my!


It is Mountain Colors Bearfoot in Pheasant color way. I originally bought 2 skeins to make socks for D but he vetoed them. No worries I love the colors so I made a pair for me. Now what will I do with the second skein? I keep wanting to make mittens but I think the mohair in this yarn would drive my wrists crazy. Who knew my wrists are such delicate prima donnas? I think a shawlette would prove to be the same issue but different area. My neck is just as sensitive as my wrists.

Plus I already have a shawl that I love beyond all reason. I made the Multnomah shawl from some alpaca  yarn from Times Remembered. This yarn was so squishy and soft that I had to get it. I let this one sit for a while as I did not know what to do with it either. 


My first Multnomah was way too small for me so I thought a sport weight yarn with more yardage would suit me better. It has quite a good wingspan, but I wanted something that I could wrap a few times when needed.  I have been wearing it since I finished it. I did not even bother with blocking I just wrapped and went. I think that is what I like best about it, it is casual and functional. I like beautiful things but at heart I am a practical person first. 


Do you know how difficult it is to photograph the color grey? All nuance is lost it just comes out looking flat and grey. I like to wear it draped over my front with the ends hanging down my back or wrapped again around my neck. It has come in quite useful this winter. It keeps out the wind that always seems to find a way to get into my bones and chill me.

So that is what has been keeping me warm. What has been keeping you warm?

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the Multnomah shawl. I ended up frogging mine, but I might try it again, just as you did, with more yarn at a heavier weight. I have a heck of a time photographing grey, too... I try to do it in natural light with no flash, and it still looks wrong!

    Mohair is difficult stuff for me to work with, too, ever since I had a bad allergic reaction to a yarn with some in it. I don't think it was the mohair I reacted to, but I still am wary of it. Why not make another pair of socks with it, maybe with a little cable or lace it them?

    ReplyDelete