Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Working on it

Recently I finished some plain socks, one set for me and one set for D. I have been eying my sock yarn pile lately with much anticipation. I want to knit it all right now. But when I finish things I hit the pile hard and finishing 2 pairs within a couple of days compounds the cast on urge.

I bought Socks that Rock in 'Spy say Guacamolay', last summer at Twisted in Portland OR. D saw these the other night and asked what the colorway name is. He did not believe me when I told him. Our conclusion is that you must get bored naming colorways and you start to throw out random ones. 

While I love the way this yarn wears I am not the biggest fan of how the colors can pool together. It seems to me that the colors are meant to be knit in plain stockinette. So I calculated my gauge and cast on for a plain sock. Then I remembered a sock from Knitter's Book of Wool that I had been meaning to try out. Wavy socks.

The problem was I had started the cuff for a gauge of 7 stitches/inch, or in my case 64 stitches around. The pattern called for 72 stitches. I finished my ribbing and made 8 stitches. Volia, exactly what Cookie A told me not to do for the German Stocking. Well my friends this is not the German Stocking and I am cruising right along.


I know cables pull in and are less stretchy than stockinette. Now I feel like I should really try them on before I get too much farther. Does anyone else have a sense of foreboding now? It certainly makes for a pretty sock.


Once I finished D's socks and I changed the Guac sock to a patterned sock I cast on the above crazy yarn colors. Now this one will definitely be a plain sock. I think there are 4 or 5 colors partying in that yarn. I like working plain socks with interesting colors. We shall see how wacky they will turn out.


I am still ignoring the Rhombus socks for some unknown reason. I do know that eventually I will be consumed with knitting these up if my future holds up to what I have done in my past.

Oh and my Central Park Hoodie class starts tonight. So you will see my progress on that soon. I need to get my knitting bag in order before I go to class and make sure that I have all that I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment