Monday, February 14, 2011

Angora and the Goats

OK just so you all know, while I was in awe of Cookie A, but I was not rendered mute by starstrikes. I was able to get my name out and I even told her my favorite sock of hers. It is the German Stocking, but I have not knit it yet. I will pass on to you the advice I received from Cookie, don't fudge the stitch count and think that it will work. You know how sometimes when you have an extra stitch and you do not know were it came from? Well, apparently on this sock you can not K2tog (knit 2 together) and knit merrily along like it never happened. Bad things will happen (wonky sock), bad things (swearing knitter), just don't do it go back and fix it.

And on another note, I had my first knitting workshop with a famous knitter on Saturday. Kisknit and I took a 'Yarn Voyage' with Anne Hanson. We learned how to make wise choices when substituting yarn with a pattern. We are both excited to apply what we have learned. Now I am rethinking projects to see if my yarn characteristics are matched with what the project needs them to do.

She even made swatching sound awesome. She showed off her swatches and how changes, even subtle ones can make or break a project. We saw many gorgeous swatches and I did not think to pull out my camera at all. I admit that I am not anti-swatch but I do need to give the process a bit more attention and respect.

We were  classifying types of fiber, their properties and where they come from. One of the categories was Angora and the Goats, now I want to start a band and name it Angora and the Goats. Of course if naming tradition holds up, (Hootie and the Blowfish) that would make me Angora. I don't really feel like an Angora, I think of myself as more of a Cormo. Yeah I have no idea what that means either.

We had a lovely time and it really brought some things into focus for me. I had already learned a bit from  Knitters Book of Wool/Yarn but it was nice to be able to hear someone explain the things that I may have missed or not really understood. I feared that our class was a bit sedate but I felt like had more know-how and inspiration after the class.

1 comment:

  1. Angora and the Goats... Leicester and the Blue Faces... Merino and the Flock... hmmm... now you've got me thinking! Sounds like you had an awesome time at that class! Man, I wish we could just spend all day long playing with our yarn...

    ReplyDelete