Saturday, June 6, 2009

Making lists does not control me but it makes me happy.

I love making lists!  Even more than that I love crossing things off lists.  I will write things down on a to do list that I have already done, just so I can cross them off. 
Turns out that I am an accomplishment driven person.  I like tangible evidence of where my time went.  I would not call myself a goal oriented person, but I like to see that a task has been finished.  What better way to do that than a little line through a word?  
I do not call myself a goal oriented person because I drop projects like hot potatoes.  I am also comfortable not doing anything, I can simply be at home.  D was trained by his mother (A lovely lady) to have an agenda.  She had a list of things to get done on any given day.  I don't think I was raised that way.  We had chores we had to do every day but I don't remember listing them out.  They were just things that had to be done every day.  Maybe that is the difference between city and country living.  The animals still need to be feed one way or another. 
Freaked me out the first time he asked me what was on my agenda for the day.  Uhm shower and get dressed.  I will have to get back to you after that.  
I don't really have a daily agenda I have a list of things that should be done sometime in the future.  I don't think I like deadlines.  Deadline such a drastic word.  You mean I will be dead if I don't finish laundry today?  No, but I might have to get creative with my wardrobe soon.
I have things that stay on my list for a long time and I have things that go on and come right back off.  Sometimes I cross things off that are not done, I just come to the realization that I don't want or need to do them any more.  
I guess lists are a way for me to bring order to my life even if I don't live a particularly orderly life.   

1 comment:

  1. I'm a complete list person as well. My lists have baby lists which get together with other lists and have more babies. It gives a sense of order amidst the chaos.

    ReplyDelete