Thursday, June 25, 2009

Love at first sight

I believe in love at first sight. I am an incurable romantic. My mother has always accused me of being in love with the idea of love. I get all gushy inside at the thought of a wedding.

Now that I have weeded out anyone who might have a weak stomach. Those of you who are not afraid of a mushy story may continue to read.

My hubby and I met our senior year of high school. I knew before we started dating that I wanted to marry him. This posed a problem for me when we broke up in college. I questioned how I could have been so wrong. Turns out I was not wrong, we just needed time to grow up.

It used to bother me when D said marriage is work. Now I better understand what I think he meant when saying that. It is work. Everything that is worth anything in this world takes work to maintain. Why do we work at our jobs, hobbies and free time but expect marriage to be a walk in the park? Why isn't working on your marriage thought of as a desirable thing? Is it because romantic love is thought of as unconditional? I don't think love can be unconditional. I know I have conditions that would make me question my love. I would not let him beat on me, cheat on me or torture others with out questioning the worth of our marriage. I'm not saying any of those things have happened, I'm saying they are unspoken conditions to the limits of my love.

So even though we are high school and college sweethearts (Dang near the pinnacle of romantic love), we still work on being the best we can be. Some days it is more work (cough socks on the floor cough) and some days it is less work (telling me my scones are the best).

I still want him by my side in good times and bad, more than I can say. Love you Hon, for all that it is worth.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, that's sweet. Well said and I love you too! Wanna go to the drive-in tonite?

    ReplyDelete